Followers

Tuesday 27 March 2012

Monday in Manaus

The first visit of the day was to CIGS, a zoo run by the military and the only one of its kind in South America. The animals are all inhabitants of the Amazon rainforest captured whilst the army are on training exercises. We were mesmerised by a harpy eagle, spider monkeys, a black panther and the crocodiles.

Next stop was a lunch time presentation at Rotary Club Manaus in the Industrial District where we were warmly welcomed.
Then onto a bi-lingual school which shared its facilities with a university. The school is privately run and featured a swimming pool and a basketball court. I was very impressed with the clever 5 year old children I spoke to who could easily show me where Brazil is on the world map. They weren't so sure where England was so I showed them - that and a brief introduction to Lucas Levia and his importance to Liverpool football club! If I had my way Tranmere Rovers would have been next on the agenda but time was short! Soeaking English us going to be a useful skill for the people of Manaus as they prepare for the world cup in 2012. Taxi drivers are being taught English and it sounds as if there is a high demand for english teachers for the people working in close proximity to the stadium in Manaus.....mmm, I see a possible job opportunity there!

1 comment: