Followers

Sunday 29 April 2012

A week on from return...

Well, it's been a week back home and what a week of reflection it's been! I'm missing Brazil, the people and the team massively and find myself constantly looking at the photos. I'm so pleased that I have so many happy memories to look back on, but I'm determined it's not just going to be about the memories. It's given me a new outlook on life and has really made me think about what's important. Personally I feel more confident- more willing to challenge the status quo, and it's helped me realise that I can cope with the unexpected and adapt quite easily. We didn't call it the magical mystery tour for nothing!

Secondly, it's made me realise that the things that we take for granted in Britain (or even the things we moan about!) take on a whole different dimension in Brazil. In terms of taxes, what we see for our money, benefits and everyday safety and security we are very lucky. Conversely, we can learn a lot from Brazil- the work ethic there is second to none, but they also make time to relax and enjoy their family and friends. The reason 'Brazil time' was invented!

I'm going to keep the Brazil spirit alive by regularly meeting up with my team mates, hopefully continuing Portuguese lessons (so I can be fluent when I return!) and being central to taking forward fundraising for a very special project we had the fortune to visit out there.

Before my trip my knowledge of Rotary was sketchy, but this past year I have seen here, and abroad, the dedication and commitment of Rotarians to make a difference. It really is inspiring, and I will act as an ambassador for Rotary wherever I go now! Every time I tell somebody about my trip to Brazil, it's another person who knows abut Rotary and what it stands for. So thanks Kevin McKenna making me aware of this life-changing GSE opportunity and to West Wirral for agreeing to sponsor me. I look forward to telling you all about it! Thanks to my team mates and Steve- I couldn't have wished for better people to share this experience with and the sooner I see you all again the better! Finally, thanks to all my Brazilan friends and family. You know who you are. You have touched my life in such an unbelievable way from the places you took us to simply having chats which gave me a real insight into day-to-day life. I will miss you all and really hope to return.

1 comment:

  1. Ray Thomas, Rotary Club of Birkenhead4 May 2012 at 02:17

    I was sure I would find some "Blogs" to confirm you are all safely home !
    Have really enjoyed following your progress and to see that the GSE trip did all we expected for you all and your hosts ... if not more.
    Very pleased to have been involved in nominating Ursy and Kelly and glad you have all had such a good experience as a team under the great leadership that Steve has provided.
    Looking forward to seeing you in person soon.

    ReplyDelete